If you’re a gay man looking to connect with someone special, you may be wondering how to get started with online dating? A great way to link up with like-minded men and find that most compatible of partners, online dating can be the perfect solution – whether you’re new to the dating scene, or have moved areas and want to meet up with other gay men near you.
- Select Your Gay Online Dating Website Wisely
- Decide on Whom You Would like to Date
- Shape up Your Profile Using the Best Gay Online Dating Tips
- Get Active on the Site
- Stay Safe When Meeting up
However, if you’ve yet to try out gay dating, online methods can seem incredibly overwhelming, especially if you aren’t sure of the rules, etiquette, and language frequently used on gay dating sites. Here at Vivastreet, we’ve compiled a list of five helpful suggestions to get you started:
1. Select Your Gay Online Dating Website Wisely
Often the hardest step for most gay men is finding reputable dating websites to begin their search on. You may have heard of popular dating sites and apps but think they don’t all cater to gay men. While it’s true that the gay community isn’t always widely promoted by online dating sites, it doesn’t mean to say they don’t exist. With Tinder not suitable for all, here are a few places to search:
Vivastreet: One of the UK’s largest and free classified ads site, here you can access those gay male members looking to date similar men from areas all over the country.
Compatible Partners: Created by eHarmony to consider the growing number of gay and lesbian singles looking to connect, this popular and successful site allows the UK and further afield searches for your perfect partner.
Grindr: Designed solely for the LGBTQ community, this is one of the most significant social networking apps for gay men all over the world.
Chappy: Another successful gay relationship app, Chappy aims to bring gay guys together for casual or long-term relationships, depending on your preference.
2. Decide on Whom You Would like to Date
Before you can successfully set up your own profile, you should ideally be clear in your mind who it is that you want to date. By knowing what it is you want and what you are looking for in a partner, you can then build a successful profile of your own that is focused on attracting those who match your preferences.
Even if you have to resort to drawing up a list or a picture of those things you like, both physically and emotionally, knowing what you want before you begin your online dating journey is often the best starting point.
3. Shape up Your Profile Using the Best Gay Online Dating Tips
Though this is the part where you can really get to work, when it comes to talking about ourselves many of us fall at the first hurdle. However, at this stage, your profile is your promotion (and all a potential match has to go on), so it pays to get this right the first time around:
- Choose Your Screen Name and Headline Carefully: Though it doesn’t necessarily have to mean anything, some choices of names and indeed headlines can be a deterrent and even attract the opposite of what you’re looking for
- Use Your Word Count Wisely: With little space to catch other users’ attention, tell potential guys about yourself without being too vague here. If your screen name and headline is attractive, don’t let your About You section down. Be clear with what it is you want – casual or long term – to prevent any miscommunication later down the line
- Select a Good Picture: Though you obviously want to show your best side, be mindful of what you portray with your profile picture. This should be an honest but creative shot that reflects what you intend on attracting. Make it a decent and clear photo showing you at your best – but keep it a little intriguing at this stage. Remember, you often attract what you put out, and photos can make or break your profile.
4. Get Active on the Site
Once you’ve got the preliminaries out of the way and watched your account go live, it can be easy to sit back and assume those interested will end up at your profile. However, you’re more likely to be successful if you remain active on the online dating scene:
- Make an effort to look for like-minded men, as they may not yet be aware of your presence
- When men message you, always be sure to message them back, even if you aren’t interested in them
- Don’t be afraid to start a conversation. Not every conversation will lead to a successful meeting, but you can still talk to like-minded individuals and make friends in the process
- If it helps, keep a list of things you want to talk about that could help to break the ice – especially if this is your first time dating online
- Don’t forget to keep an eye on your profile and update it as and when necessary, keeping it fresh. This is especially important if you aren’t looking to connect with others straight away, or if your preferences change over time
5. Stay Safe When Meeting up
Finally, it goes without saying that should your online dating profile be successful, and you decide to meet with a potential partner, take as much from the gay online dating advice given on every dating site and app. This will ensure you make safety your highest priority.
Though you may have been chatting for some time before this meet up, you are still strangers at this point. So, until you’ve got to know one another in person, be sure to meet in public places and always let someone you trust know where you are going to be.
By selecting a dedicated men’s gay dating site, you can be relatively confident that you are meeting with other like-minded and consenting gay men. Online dating for gay men is a thoroughly exciting way of getting to know other gay men who are looking for love, companionship, or friendships in your local area.